This Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Toasts is an easy, comforting dinner that can be on the table in no time!
Soup is one of our go to meals – all year round. We definitely aren’t going to wait for the cold weather to make soup, we eat it in the summer when it’s crazy hot out too.
That’s how much we like soup for dinner.
But when the weather is cold – there’s nothing better than a steaming hot bowl of soup to end your day with, and this Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Toast has become one of our favorites!
I love the fact that you don’t need to buy a ton of ingredients to make this soup, too. Just fresh broccoli, onions, garlic and some College Inn® Chicken Stock. You can find College Inn® Chicken Stock at any Walmart store nationwide, so whenever I’m there I make sure to load up on my staple ingredients!
We try and sit down for family dinners as much as we can these days – even though it’s hard with everyone’s schedule. So when we do all get to have dinner together I like to make sure it’s something everyone loves to eat.
And my boys love to eat this soup.
They actually use the cheddar toasts as their spoon, so the more cheddar toasts that are on the table the better. And I don’t mind them eating all the cheesy toast…I mean look at how much broccoli they’re getting in!
And there’s no cream in this recipe either, just the College Inn® Chicken Stock and skim milk – but you’d never know it when you’re eating it. It’s rich and fresh tasting, the way broccoli soup should be if you ask me. Both of my boys have had broccoli cheese soup before with the cheese mixed in and they don’t love it…this broccoli soup is their favorite way to eat their veggies.
All there is to do for this soup is cook up an onion, garlic and the broccoli, then add in the College Inn® Chicken Stock, cover and let it stem while cooking until the broccoli is tender.
Once that’s done it all goes into the blender. Let it cool down a few minutes so it’s not smoking hot before this step…then blend until smooth.
Get the soup back in your soup pot, add milk and cayenne pepper and the soup’s on.
Serve it up with lots of cheddar toasts on the side and you’ll have an amazing dinner that the whole family will love!
- 1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 bunches broccoli (about 3¼ pounds), stems and florets chopped separately into ½ inch pieces
- 7 cups College Inn® chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about ½ cup)
- 8 thin slices crusty baquette
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add onion, garlic and broccoli stems; cover and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add the College Inn® chicken stock and salt and cover.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Uncover, add the broccoli floret and reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Fill a blender halfway full (or you can use a stick blender in the pot) and puree the soup until smooth.
- Repeat in batches until all the soup is blended and return to the pot.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Divide the cheese among the bread slices and toast under the broiler until melted and golden brown, about 45-60 seconds.
- Top each bowl of soup with a cheese toast and serve.
This post has been brought to with the help of College Inn chicken broth, all opinions here are mine!